Friday, February 27, 2009

Finally! Some Bourbon...


So there it is. Quite possibly one of the finest bourbons I've ever had. So how did I find out about this wonderful elixer? Well, I have to tip my hat, and offer a sincere and heartfelt "Thanks!" to Da Creech, who gifted me with a bottle of it two Christmases ago.

Originally, I was uncertain about Basil Hayden's. I had tried a couple of the small batch bourbons and found almost all of them had that rough and raw flavor and finish typical of bourbon. Almost all of them required ice or a splash of water to ease the burn of drinking them. The worst of them required a healthy dosing of Coca-Cola to smooth it out. So needless-to-say, I was a bit gun shy when it came to another small batch bourbon.

Basil Hayden is an 8 year old bourbon produced in the Small Batch line, and smooth doesn’t even begin to cover its flavor. Its got the typical hints of caramel and vanilla, but there’s a touch of pepper from the more than average rye included in its making.

I’ve found that 2 large ice cubes are the perfect accompaniment to a generous pour. But I wouldn’t turn it down neat or with a splash of branch water.

Seek it out. Add it to your bar.

No comments: