Tuesday, January 19, 2010

...Aaaannnnd. We're back.

but not with food...

Conan of Cimmeria: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Book 1) Conan of Cimmeria: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I remember reading all of these short stories when I was a kid growing up in a small Georgia town. Robert Howard was one of those great authors that helps folks like me escape. Even if it only was until I could do it for myself...

This collection of Howard's original works mirrors the publication of the Conan saga in all those Weird Tales pulps, so it's not a chronological tale, but it is delivered the way that Howard wanted the reader to come to know the "sullen-eyed" Cimmerian.

It's a shame that Howard doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. His writing is terse, action packed, and imminently enjoyable. I would heartily recommend any of Howard's work to lit lovers, and those of us who want to regain a measure of those childhood escapes and escapades.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: